Wednesday, January 24, 2007

B Movies

I remember watching my first "B movie" when I was about 15, staying up all night with Joe Bob Brigg's Drive In Theater on TMC (The Movie Channel). It was "Dracula Rising" , starring Christopher Atkins. Yeeeesshh. I still have it on VHS around here somewhere and occasionally pop it in to watch, and remember how it felt to watch the cheesy hero and heroine, the laughable villain, and the gory-ness of it all.

With popcorn, it's a teenager's dream.

My absolute favorite B Movie of all time though, is "Doctor Mordrid" with the famous (well, at least in B movie circles) Jeffrey Combs.

Now, Mr. Combs in my book is AWESOME as an actor (it also doesn't hurt that he was raised in Lompoc, CA - where I was born and spent my pre-teen years heeheehee). Apparently Dave thinks even higher of him than I do though because of his being in movies based on H.P. Lovecraft's books as a main character. He was also a regular returning actor on the "Star Trek" various series from TNG, to DS9, and Enterprise. I simply loved Mr. Combs because of his creepy portrayal of a hero - Dr. Mordrid.

I have to say though, Dave and I were absolutely ECSTATIC when Jeffrey Combs showed up on the Sci-Fi series that airs on USA called "The 4400" as Dr. Kevin Burkhoff. He's such a great character - and we're hopeful to see more of him when the series starts up again this summer.

Dave got me on this kick tonight because he had seen Jeffrey Combs as Edgar Allan Poe in a Masters of Horror production. A site to behold, I hear.

I fondly remember flinching at the blood spurting of the movie "Children of the Night" with Ami Dolenz and Peter DeLuise. heh.

And we can't forget that legendary grouping of Subspecies movies -- like "Subspecies", "Bloodstone: Subspecies II", "Bloodlust: Subspecies III" , etc... I hear they are making a 5th one now. Let the vamps die already, please. *L*

Yes, yes... and we can't forget the "BasketCase" movies. Ahhh.... B Movies. How I miss them.

1 comment:

beckah said...

basket case & the sequal were both uber gory awesome! i watched those when i was about 15 :)

Wedding

Read Me!