Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

*****It took me almost 8 hours to read this book. I'm not intending to release spoilers here!! I promise!!******

I have to say, I loved it. It was fantastic -and only the second or third time ever, that I've cried so hard about characters who have died or been killed.

Such an emotional response is only natural to give to characters that you have known so well over the last 8 -10 years that it's taken to get through all the previous books and wait hungrily to devour the last course.... the Deathly Hallows.

Death is never a joy to write, I'm sure. But I took comfort in the fact that a couple of the people she killed off were a 'couple' and in the romantic style, one could not have gone on without the other. Order members until the end, they fought beside Harry at the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving their newborn child to suffer the same fate as Harry... now a young godfather to a child who would know his parents sacrificed themselves for the defeat of Voldemort.

So much in this book made me cry. I think Alli, to quote Ron, would think mommy "...was mental, that one!". Reading each page and knowing this would likely be the last adventure to share with these characters - human with their flaws, written so well and lovingly drawn. If you are a reader of the Harry Potter series, you sobbed when Dumbledore was killed by Snape, you laughed and snickered when Ron found out about Harry and Ginny and their stolen moments...I'm sure your heart melted a bit, too.

And so, I read through the entire book, trying to process the story as I went, rushing but trying to savor the story, who was doing what, and what I thought was to be the foreshadow of events to come.

When all was said and done, I was happy for the most part. 3 deaths I found unnecessary, but I can see why she wrote them in. The Order needed to suffer losses and a large family has to lose someone, right?

The Epilogue was satisfying in the way that you knew what happened to the central characters - the best that was suspected all along.

Closing the book, it was 11:30pm by the clock. I felt weepy as I realized this was, again, the last adventure at Hogwarts....maybe EVER. Knowing what became of the characters was all well and good, but now I had nothing to look forward to at Hogwarts... or the Burrow.... or Grimmauld Place with Kreacher.

With everything tied up in a neat and tidy bow, I effectively felt left out as I looked inside the crystal ball and realized this was it. A happy exit for those who lived and thrived after Voldemort was destroyed.

I'm still stunned at the amount of reading and the auto comprehension I put my brain through yesterday; from 2:30pm until 4pm and then again from 5:30pm to 11:30pm. But of course, it was entirely worth it. And one day, when I'm not so emotional, I will read it again and hope to enjoy the epilogue more.

I can only wonder how Book 6 and 7 will fare under a screenwriter's script. Book 7 is full of so many places and so many close-calls. There's no telling how they'll be able to fit it all into a 2 and 1/2 hour movie. Maybe they'll make a 6 hour movie, released in two parts to combine Book 6 and 7. Hmm....

No comments:

Wedding

Read Me!